Home | Externe | Annual Forum 2011 | Prospects for resource efficiency in the framework of sustainable development
Annual Forum 2011 | Prospects for resource efficiency in the framework of sustainable development
Start date / end date:31/03/2011 - 09:30
Prospects for resource efficiency in the framework of sustainable development
forum 2011 of the Federal Council for Sustainable Development
The Federal Council for Sustainable Development invites you to its Forum 2011, on Thursday March 31. The Forum has as its theme: "Prospects for resource efficiency in the framework of sustainable development".
Several resources are becoming scarce or are difficult to access. This has serious consequences. Our economy will have to transform itself in the coming years, at least to deal more efficiently with valuable resources. The FCSD looks at this challenge in a framework of sustainable development, taking into account the economic, ecological, social and North-South dimensions of it.
New policy approaches and plans are being developed for more 'resource efficiency'. More knowledge is becoming available and several initiatives are being developed. A perfect moment to examine more closely the strategic challenge of resource efficiency, and that while the EU2020 strategy is taking shape and the international community is preparing for the Rio+20 conference.
- 09.00 | Registration
- 09.30 | Introduction, by Theo Rombouts, president of the FCSD (text FR - text NL)
- 09.45 | Presentation 1, resource efficiency in a framework of sustainable development | By: Friedrich Hinterberger (SERI) (presentation)
- 10.25 | Reactions from member groups of the FCSD and the audience
- 10.45 | Coffee break
- 11.15 | Presentation 2, a look ahead to 2050 | By: Peter Paul van de Wijs (WBCSD) (presentation)
- 11.50 | Response | By: James Howard (ITUC) (text)
- 12.05 | Reactions from the audience
- 12.30 | Lunch break (with sandwiches)
- 13.30 | Woking groups
- Working group 1, Construction, challenges and best practices | president: Bernard Jans (ACV): David Lanove (Confederatie Bouw) (presentation), Marie Cors (IEW) (presentation), Ilse Dries (DuWoBo) (presentation)(document)
- Working group 2, Governance for resource efficiency | president: Dries Lesage (UGent): Anne Panneels (ETUC), Ariadna Janariz Rodrigo (Friends of the Earth Europe) (presentation), John Wante (OVAM) (presentation)
- 14.30 | Working groups
- Working group 3, Decoupling, new materials and materials reuse | president: Patrick Van den Bossche (Agoria): Sven Mollet (Shanks Waste Solutions) (presentation): Karel Van Acker (Leuven Materials Research Centre) (presentation): Stéphane Arditi (EEB) (presentation)
- Working group 4, Socio-economic models for resource efficiency | president: Michel Genet (Greenpeace): Michael Elkin (ILO) (presentation), Catella Willi (OIVO) (presentation), Erik De Bisschop (Desso) (presentation)(video)
- 15.30 | Coffee break
- 16.00 | Presentation 3, the EU Resource Efficiency Flagship Initiative | By: Janez Potočnik (European commissioner) (text)
- 16.20 | Closing panel discussion with representatives from the member groups of the CFSD
- 17.15 | Closing speech by minister Paul Magnette (text)
Flyer with the programme
- Location: Royal Library in Brussels (Keizerslaan 2, 1000 Brussels, close to the Central Station)
- Translation (partially) will be available (N/F/E)
- Access is free, but registration is required, until March 23, through this mail. Please add your name, organisation, address, phone and mail. You will receive a confirmation of your registration.
- Contact FCSD: Jan Mertens (tel. +32 (2) 743 31 54)